These are +20dBm LoRa packet radios that have a special radio modulation. They can easily go 2 Km line of sight using simple wire antennas, or up to 20Km with directional antennas and settings tweakings.
Each radio comes with some header, a 3.3V voltage regulator and levelshifter that can handle 3-5V DC power and logic so you can use it with 3V or 5V devices. You will need to cut and solder on a small piece of wire (any solid or stranded core is fine) in order to create your antenna. Optionally you can pick up a uFL or SMA edge-mount connector and attach an external duck.
More information is available on the website of Adafruit.
- Packet radio with ready-to-go Arduino libraries
- Can be used with the license-free ISM band: "European ISM" @ 868MHz or "American ISM" @ 915MHz
- Use a simple wire antenna or spot for uFL or SMA radio connector
- SX1276 LoRa® based module with SPI interface
- +5 to +20 dBm up to 100 mW Power Output Capability (power output selectable in software)
- ~100mA peak during +20dBm transmit, ~30mA during active radio listening.
- Range of approx. 2Km, depending on obstructions, frequency, antenna and power output